Saturday, March 28, 2015

Museum Pass

Afternoon my fellow Americans. Brett and I are resting our feet, siting on our porch and enjoying the wine and cheese that we have become so fond of. Comte is a French cheese that is really popular and then we also have goat cheese. The cheese is stinky because they are not required to pasteurize it. Brie smelling like Brussels sprouts was an interesting moment for sure.

This morning we quickly got ready so we could make it to Musee d'Orsay when it opened. We had a cliff bar on they way. Yes, we travelled with emergency snacks. Since we had purchased the museum pass, we were able to wait in a much shorter line. Probably 5 min or so. I don't know if it is a function  of recent events or not, but all museums have more security than I imagined. So in case you are wondering, we have always felt super safe. This museum houses Monet, Manet, Degas, Van Gogh and countless others. The ones I named are just my favorite. It is amazing that a train station, that was almost torn down, has that detailed architecture. Mine blown again. 

We grabbed a bite to eat and were surprised by an open face sandwich, but it was still yummy. Missing the cream in my coffee a bit, but oh well. One of the places that we just past by on our gourmet tour sold Chou or in "American" cream puffs. Yummy yummy in our tummy. Another successful French order and three Chous were quickly devoured. We were right next to the Delacroix museum so we went in. He painted parts of the Saint Sulpice church. The museum is located in his apartment. The coolest part was his garden. They found a receipt of the plants he purchased and that is what is located there to keep it authentic. Another snap happy moment. 

After Delacroix we walked to Pont Neuf. We took in the view, watched the boats go by on Le Siene and just took a moment to take in the history. One house had giant windows and a huge roof top garden. That would be awesome. Maybe one day :) 

The line for Saint Chapelle was super long, go home tourists!!!  So we decided to go in Conciergerie.
It is the old prison and where two thousand plus had their heads chopped of by the guillotine. Also where Marie Antoinette died. The line for Saint Chapelle had died down so we decided to wait. I nervously climbed the stairs behind an old woman with my hand on her back, but hooray we made it. This church only took 6 years to build. It is much smaller than most, but compared to most taking multiple hundreds of years sounds like the architect must be a relative of mine. The stained glass takes your breath away. By this time the blisters on my feet were screaming and I was desperate for water. Oh no, we past by the archeological crypt located under Notre Dame so of course we have to go see it. Brett sweetly asked the guard for a bandaid from his first aid kit. Only problem no bathrooms and I have on tights. Good thing not many people go to this site. Learned a lot about the history that I won't bore you with, but it's awesome. 

We walked until I dropped so hence the wine and cheese break. More to come. 

Au Revoir 

No comments:

Post a Comment