We started the day off with a Gourmet Walking tour by Hidden Paris Tours. We were lucky to have it be just us on the tour. Our guide was very sweet and made it seem like we were visiting a friend. We passed by Saint Sulpice church on our way to Pierre Herme for famous macaroons and she gave us a history lesson and told us what to look for. We will be going back because we didn't see a very neat detail. There is a line running across the church and once a year on the equinox, the sun comes through an opening and lines up with it the entire span. The church was built in the 13th century and took 100+ years to complete and they got tiny details like that spot on. Pretty amazing. Side note: the sun was out and felt amazing this morning so we acted like five year olds and made some funny shadows.
Pierre Herme was so pretty. The desserts are so perfect that you feel bad eating them. Pierre is a famous chef that used to work in a restaurant before he decided to only focus on the macaroon. So far we have tried the dark chocolate and raspberry and the salted caramel. She took us to the market and explained to us the label that France has for foods that are of the highest quality. We got some goat cheese that I'm considering making my way down our 5 flights of stairs to get some bread to eat with it. I can't even remember only a few hours later where all she took us, but it was all so pretty. We stopped by a butcher and it could have been an art gallery. Paris is amazing. One of our favorite places was a chocolate shop that we plan to go back to, our wallets and my thighs weren't digging it at the moment but since then we have walked probably ten miles so what the heck. I will get the name when I do. I also really liked an olive oil store. In north of France they mainly cook with butter, but in the south they love their oil. We did a tasting and I wish that I had room to bring some home. Brett's quart bag might be filled with olive oil on the way back. I'm rambling now, but I want to remember these details for myself. We turned the corner and were in the cutest little square. It is closed on the weekends but open during the week because kids use it as a short cut on the way home from school. Brett got snap happy here. It was just too damn cute. It housed what she told us is the only remaining stand that ladies used to use to get out of horse carriages gracefully, a water spout for the horses and and location where the built a guillotine and practiced on live goats.. Not so cute I know. The market where we started the tour used to be the only market in the area and an Italian boy worked with a Frenchman selling coffee grounds. When we he was older he decided that he wanted to sell ready to drink coffee and broke off from the Frenchman to open up the first cafe in Saint Germain. Ben Franklin had coffee there!! Another one to hit up. It isn't as posh as Cafe Flour but pretty darn special. The cafe that we had our first glass of wine in Paris is apparently the cool place to go and she was proud of our instincts to be so Parisian.
We successfully moved into our apartment and although tiny, it is perfect for our stay. The street couldn't be more charming. Who am I kidding, all streets here are charming. Brett un-balled his clothes and then we were off. We went to the Love lock bridge, Pont du Arts. We have had such a neighborhood type feeling that it was a little odd to be surrounded by tourists. How stupid can you be to buy a lock from a vendor on the lock bridge... Come on people!! We just kissed, enjoyed the view and decided not to contribute to weight and pollution problem that those locks actually cause.
So kisses (both cheeks) to all of you and I will be back for the rest of our day soon.
Five flights of stairs? I remember those days well. No fat Parisians though.
ReplyDeleteGreat blog! Keep them coming.